The questions used in the Gender Equality Measure (GEM™) module, which helps business leaders make better decisions by addressing unconscious bias within media and programming.
Share this post
GEM™ provides measurement standards for ads/TV programming. The methodology was made open source for the marketing, media, and entertainment industries, and is used by marketers, researchers, agencies, and content creators throughout the advertising and media communities.
GEM™ measures perceptions of how female actors are portrayed in the media by asking consumers four key questions:
- What is the overall opinion of the female presented?
- Is she portrayed respectfully?
- Is she depicted inappropriately?
- Is she seen as a positive role model for women and girls?
GEM™ is a trademark of the Association of National Advertisers in the USA.
Building on the U.S. success, at the end of 2018 it was announced that testing will now expand to other markets globally, such as Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
Empirical evidence from the analysis shows that:
- Ads with positive GEM™ scores drive purchase intent by 26% among all consumers and 45% among women.
- Brand reputation rises 11%
For more information click here.