Cristina Diezhandino, Chief Marketing Officer of Diageo, has been named WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022. She was awarded this honour following a combined vote from an expert jury and the industry at large including WFA members, with each accounting for a half of the final score.
Global Marketer of the Year 2022
Cristina Diezhandino, Chief Marketing Officer, Diageo
“I am delighted and immensely proud to be named WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022. I hold the WFA in the highest regard and truly value the work it does in championing and inspiring our industry. This award is very special to me and I accept it on behalf of the entire Diageo marketing team who have all joined me in embracing a mindset of possibility – one that allows us to be open, to challenge ourselves and keep driving forward"
Meet our shortlist
After attentively considering all the eligible names as part of the shortlisting process, our expert jury has helped select the following eight marketers for the final voting round:
- Fabrice Beaulieu Fabrice Chief Marketing, Sustainability and Corporate Affairs Officer, ReckittFabrice has instigated a major shift towards a purpose-led brand strategy. The Finish brand, for example, has contributed to the saving of 10 million gallons of water by encouraging people to ‘skip the rinse’ through partnerships with National Geographic and WWF. This year has also seen the launch of the Reckitt Marketing Academy in more than 30 countries, helping more than 2000 marketers and resetting the learning culture.
- Patricia Corsi Patricia Chief Marketing, Digital and Information Officer, BayerPatricia has placed sustainability at the centre of Bayer brand and product strategies as well as the innovation process in partnership with R&D. She has developed more synergies between IT /Digital Transformation and the marketing and sales teams leading to greater efficiency and effectiveness.
- Cristina Diezhandino Cristina Global CMO, DiageoCristina has been pivotal in leading Diageo’s marketing and innovation teams to shape the future of how people will socialise. In the last year, the drinks company has introduced more personalised and interactive ways to interact with its brands through the use of AI, embarked on an ambitious plan to remove 183 million cardboard gift boxes from its premium Scotch portfolio, and developed and launched inclusive design training for its marketers and agencies.
- Asmita Dubey Asmita Chief Digital & Marketing Officer, L'OréalUnder Asmita’s leadership, the company has continued to optimise its internal marketing organisation through upskilling, as well as by improving the way it works with agencies and start-up. It has started to build a diverse ecosystem of Web3 partners that spans artists, communities and tech platforms, launching the first multi-brand beauty partnership with Ready Player Me and partnering with Meta and StationF to accelerate start-ups whose focus is creativity in the Metaverse.
On the sustainability front, Garnier is bringing greener beauty with Environmental and Social impact labelling and innovations like Ultra Doux No rinse conditioner to save water.
- Cheryl Goh Cheryl Group VP of Marketing and Sustainability - Founding CMO, GrabAs Founding CMO and VP of Marketing for Grab, Cheryl has built the disruptive brand's marketing department from zero. Recently, she has spearheaded several of the companies’ sustainable initiatives, including GrabForGood – a $275m fund for social and environmental programmes – aiming for net zero by 2040, giving customers the opportunity to opt to offset the carbon footprint of their rides and growing the electrical fleet.
- Julia Goldin Julia Chief Product & Marketing Officer/ Executive Vice President, LegoJulia’s role is broad, encompassing 1,800 LEGO colleagues around the world, including those in Product Development, Marketing, Research & Insights, Licensing & Partnerships and LEGO’s in-house creative agency. In the past 12 months, LEGO has partnered with the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) to reduce carbon emissions in their manufacturing and supply chain operations, and to promote global action on climate change. Actions include the LEGO Replay programme for donating old bricks.
- Martin Renaud Martin EVP & Chief Marketing and Sales Officer, Mondelēz InternationalSince joining Mondelēz in 2018, Martin has transformed the company’s marketing strategy – building excellence in its brand investment profile, renewing its creative approach, and spearheading its ambitious goal of becoming the digital snacking leader. He has overseen substantial investments to accelerate and sustain growth in digital commerce.
- Karen Riley-Grant Karen Chief Marketing Officer, Levi Strauss & CoKaren joined Levi’s six years ago and is a big believer in the fact that standout innovation comes from co-creation. This year, the company expanded its House of Strauss creator houses in Mexico City, in order to foster creativity and increase brand awareness. Revenue for the 12 months ending August 31, 2022 was up 14.6% year-on-year, confirming the company’s status as one of the world’s most iconic denim jean brands.
Call for nominations
September '22 - October '22
Call for votes
1 December '22 - 31 January '23
Early February '23
Our jury represents a hugely experienced team of marketers, consultants and industry experts.
Chaired by Raja Rajamannar, Mastercard’s Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, it includes a wide range of sector and regional expertise, making it perfectly equipped to identify those who are making the biggest impact on the increasingly global marketing business.
Celebrating great marketers making a real difference
Senior global and regional marketers can have a huge impact in multiple ways.
Whether it’s creating effective purpose-driven campaigns, restructuring the way their internal and external teams work together or playing an industry leadership role, for example around furthering the Diversity & Inclusion agenda, great marketers make a real difference.
Since 2017, the WFA Global Marketer of the Year Award has been seeking to identify the person in a global or regional role who has, over the last 12 months, made the most impact on their company, our industry and the reputation of marketing among consumers.
In 2021, the Global Marketer of the Year Award went to Conny Braams, Conny Braams, Chief Digital & Commercial Officer, Unilever.
Brand purposeBrand reputationDigital transformationMarketing capabilitiesMarketing operationsMarketing technologyOrganisation & structureMarketing technology
Cristina Diezhandino named WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022
Diageo’s Global Chief Marketing Officer, Cristina Diezhandino, has been named WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022, after…
It’s the economy…
Marketers are grappling with difficult questions as much of the world faces an economic slowdown. Do they cut back on their…
The missing conversation
Agencies are a vital part of any effective marketing organisation, but all too often the right questions aren’t always asked…
Cristina Diezhandino, Diageo: WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022 nominee
Cristina Diezhandino, Chief Marketing Officer at Diageo, is one of the eight global marketers shortlisted for this…
Asmita Dubey, L'Oréal: WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022 nominee
Asmita Dubey, Chief Digital & Marketing Officer, L'Oréal, is one of the eight global marketers shortlisted for this…
Martin Renaud, Mondelēz International: WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022 nominee
Martin Renaud, EVP & Chief Marketing and Sales Officer, Mondelēz International, is one of the eight global marketers shortlisted…
Karen Riley-Grant, Levi's: WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022 nominee
Karen Riley-Grant, Global Chief Marketing Officer at Levi Strauss & Co, is one of the eight global marketers shortlisted for…
Fabrice Beaulieu, Reckitt: WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022 nominee
Fabrice Beaulieu, Chief Marketing, Sustainability and Corporate Affairs Officer, Reckitt, is one of the eight global marketers…
Cheryl Goh, Grab: WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022 nominee
Cheryl Goh, Group VP of Marketing and Sustainability – Founding CMO, Grab, is one of the eight global marketers…
Julia Goldin, LEGO: WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022 nominee
Julia Goldin, Chief Product & Marketing Officer, LEGO, is one of the eight global marketers shortlisted for this…
Patricia Corsi, Bayer Consumer Health: WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022 nominee
Patricia Corsi, Chief Marketing, Digital and Information Officer at Bayer Consumer Health, is one of the eight global marketers…
WFA and jury reveal shortlist for Global Marketer of the Year 2022
Our expert jury has shortlisted top global marketing leaders for our WFA annual award scheme. Voting is now open until the 31st of…
What’s the biggest challenge facing marketers right now?
With nominations for WFA Global Marketer of the Year 2022 open until October 16, members of the expert jury were asked to share…
CreativityBrand purposeBrand reputation
WFA introduces Global Marketer Hall of Fame
The initiative celebrates leaders who have been nominated for WFA's Global Marketer of the…
Content marketingCreativityBrand purposeBrand reputationMarketing capabilitiesMarketing operationsOrganisation & structureMarketing effectiveness
WFA launches Global Marketer of the Year 2022
Partners with The Drum to celebrate global and regional marketers and the work…
For more information or questions, please contact us