Detailed overview and presentations from the National Associations Council meeting which took place in Helsinki on September 29, 2023
Kindly hosted by Marketing Finland
Share this post
What was on the agenda:
On organisational growth
- NAC survey on member recruitment and retention: Laura Baeyens (WFA) presented the top-line results of a survey of national associations on strategies for growth, with a focus on internal set-up and the key drivers and barriers to recruitment and retention.
- A Nordic masterclass: Marketing Finland, ANFO (Norway) and Sveriges Annonsörer (Sweden) have all seen significant growth in their membership in recent years. Riikka-Maria Lemminki, Jan Morten Drange and Hanna Riberdahl shared key learnings and actions that have been driving member recruitment and retention for their organisations. This was followed by a roundtable discussion where national associations shared what they think has been the biggest drivers for recruitment and retention for them.
On marketing effectiveness
- Creating a culture of effectiveness: Marketing effectiveness remains a top priority and challenge for marketers at global and local level. Matt Green (WFA) provided some insights from a recent study in collaboration with 21 national associations that identified key areas for improvement including on measurement, tools and collaboration.
- Sweden’s Effectiveness System: Hanna Riberdahl (Sveriges Annonsörer) shared on how they have been creating solutions to help the industry better understand and measure effectiveness, including through industry standards and certification.
They are organising a training and certification session on February 7th 2024 from 9am-12pm CET dedicated to national associations interested in learning more about the Effectiveness System 2.0. Register here.
On generative AI
- Generative AI and its implications for marketing: Dan Southern, Managing Partner at Contagious, guided attendees through the evolution of artificial intelligence, how generative AI is being used right now and how this technology is already having an impact on a variety of industries including marketing. This was followed by a roundtable discussion on how national associations are planning to tackle generative AI when it comes to opportunities and risks for their members.
Updates, next meetings & AOB
- France’s Oneframe: Jean-Luc Chetrit (Union des marques, France) presented a new framework to better measure the carbon footprint of advertising campaigns.
- February 15 remote NAC meeting, register here
- May 17 NAC meeting in Toronto, during Global Marketer Week 2024 (14-17 May), register here
A copy of the presentations is available below. View here photos from the meeting.