Italy launches manual for tenders and client-agency relationships
UPA’s new guide aims to help marketers foster transparent, honest and long-lasting partnerships
Share this post
The Italian Advertisers’ Association (UPA) with The Italian Association of Communications Agencies (UNA) recently published a manual entitled La Buona Gara (“The Good Tender”) to guide both advertisers and agencies when conducting or participating in creative tenders and pitches. The long-term goal of this manual is to help foster transparent, honest and long-lasting partnerships.
The manual is divided into three parts:
- assessing the need to call for a creative tender, with pros and cons for both advertisers and agencies;
- exploring how to deal with a creative tender in all its steps;
- providing guidance on how to build a strong relationship between client and agency.
“UPA’s principles are based on the three pillars of innovation, transparency and responsibility. Creating a manual on "good tender" is part of the willingness of advertisers to establish a mature dialogue among different industry stakeholders. We recommend the use of tenders in looking for medium- or long-term partners and not just for a single creative campaign. We believe that too many agencies in a tender can increase the risk of superficial decisions”, UPA President Lorenzo Sassoli de Bianchi said.
It concludes with eight points that summarise the different concepts and tips within the manual:
- Sometimes, launching a creative tender is not the only answer; there are alternative solutions out there.
- It takes a lot of gravitas to launch a creative tender, and equally to participate in one.
- It is not the quantity of competing agencies that makes the difference; it’s the quality.
- A successful tender is dependent on clarity and the right information.
- A successful tender implies transparency on every single aspect.
- A successful tender has clear goals and guidelines to follow.
- A successful tender ends with a winner, and reaching out to the runners-up to explain the decision taken.
- A successful tender can start a good client-agency relationship that can potentially be long lasting.
For more information or questions, please contact us