WFA launches Global Marketer of the Year 2021
Partners with The Drum to celebrate the work that global and regional marketers have done to strengthen their brands and businesses during the second year of the pandemic
Share this post
WFA has launched the 2021 WFA Global Marketer of the Year award, celebrating the work that global and regional marketers have played in a hugely challenge year for people and society in general but also for brands.
The award will put a spotlight on the executives who are making a difference by inspiring their teams, both internal and external, adapting effectively to new ways of working and living while also creating brand strategies that have a positive impact on both society and their companies.
Nominations will be sought from the wider marketing industry as well as via an expert jury of global marketers and industry experts chaired by WFA President and Mastercard Chief Marketing and Communications Officer Raja Rajamannar, with media partner The Drum publicising the award across its three regional online editions, print magazine and social platforms.
Those nominated should demonstrate outstanding leadership in four key areas:
- Driving initiatives which contribute towards sustainable business growth;
- Optimising their global marketing organisation, including working more effectively with partners;
- Delivering stand-out innovation and creativity;
- Playing an industry leadership role, for example around furthering the Diversity & Inclusion agenda.
They should also have been working for their current employer for two years or more, in a global or regional role.
Nominations can be made through the website globalmarketeroftheyear.com or sent to email@example.com. The deadline for nominations is 10 October 2021.
Nominations will be considered by the expert jury in October, with those shortlisted being profiled in The Drum and on the WFA’s website later in the year.
The winner will be decided by a combination of public voting by the industry and the expert jury verdict, with each counting for half of the final score. The winner will be announced in January 2022.
The inaugural Global Marketer of the Year was won in 2017 by Keith Weed, Unilever’s then Chief Marketing and Communications Officer. He was followed by Raja Rajamannar in 2018 and by Lubomira Rochet, then Chief Digital Officer at L’Oréal in 2019. Last year’s award was won by Marc Pritchard, Chief Brand Officer at Procter & Gamble.
The list of jurors for 2021 includes:
- Raja Rajamannar (Chair), WFA President and Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, Mastercard
- Eloísa Moscardó, Corporate Advertising Director, Santander
- Atul Agrawal, Senior Vice President, Corporate Brand and Marketing, Tata Services
- Amanda Woo, CEO, AirAsia Super App
- Mary Gerzema, SVP Digital Marketing, Media & Consumer Insights, Shiseido
- Stephan Loerke, CEO, WFA
- Susanne Kunz, General Manager, German Advertisers Association (OWM)
- Elizabeth Melo, Executive President, Association of National Advertisers of Colombia (ANDA)
- Kadri Mohammed Taid, Malaysian Advertisers Association (MAA)
- Edward Oswe, CEO, Marketing Society of Kenya (MSK)
- Lucinda Peniston-Baines, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, The Observatory
- Debbie Morrison, Managing Director, Global Partnerships and Events, Ebiquity
- Charlotte McEleny, APAC Publisher, The Drum
- Jonathan Turner, Chairman, OxfordSM
- Magid Souhami, President, Global Data Bank
“This has been another hugely challenging year but also one where the very best have demonstrated the difference the creativity and innovation within our industry can make. In the midst of our struggles, we also need to celebrate the capacity of marketing and marketers to drive their businesses forward for the benefit of shareholders, partners and people,” said Stephan Loerke, CEO of WFA.
“Marketers have been adapting to major changes in media behavior and consumer lifestyles in the last few years. They’ve quickly adopted digital platforms and e-commerce, and created new business models that have allowed their companies to thrive, and continue to thrive. It’s been a great test of their ingenuity, ambition, capacity to manage teams and the ability to keep up with the changing nature of the industry. We need to celebrate those that have succeeded through it all and truly made a difference to their businesses,” said Raja Rajamannar, WFA President, Chair of the Expert Jury and Chief Marketing and Communications Officer of Mastercard.
“I’m thrilled The Drum and the Word Federation of Advertisers are partnering once again to crown the Global Marketer of the Year. The uncertainty over past 18 months have shown us just how crucial marketing is in a time of crisis. We know, more than ever, that today’s marketers must be flexible, agile and constantly across the ever-shifting demands of their consumers. The Drum’s editorial team has been dedicated to covering these stories of triumph and tribulation and we look forward to working with the WFA on celebrating the brightest marketing leaders,” said Jennifer Faull, Brands Editor, The Drum.
To nominate a multinational marketer click here.